All qualifying vehicles that you list on Outdoorsy will be eligible for our insurance protection plan. Insurance protection is available to RVs, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Toy Haulers, Truck Campers, Campervans, Sportsmobiles and certified Westfalias, VW Campers and Vintage units. This excludes the tow vehicle unless it is also listed on Outdoorsy, has been approved and is rented at the same time as the trailer through Outdoorsy. The tow vehicle must apply and be approved for coverage separately from the trailer. Motorized vehicles (including tow vehicles) must be year 2000 or newer to qualify for liability insurance protection. Older Westfalias and VW Vans and Vintage units can be covered under our Vintage Plan for both Liability and Comprehensive & Collision. There is no restriction on age for Trailers as long as they pass their regularly scheduled mechanical safety inspections.
The insurance protection program is offered to you with no monthly premium and no monthly payment. It is a benefit that you enjoy for listing on and transacting through Outdoorsy. Best of all, you are provided with $1 million in Liability coverage in the U.S. and up to $500,000 in Physical Damage coverage, including Comprehensive & Collision protection. In Canada, coverages are available up to $10 Million in Liability coverage and $2M in Physical Damage, coverage in including Comprehensive & Collision protection.
However, it’s important to note that:
- Outdoorsy’s insurance policy does not replace your personal insurance policy. For a free insurance quote and great coverage options, check out our preferred insurance partner, Roamly.
- Only transactions made through Outdoorsy qualify for our $1 million Liability coverage and up to $500,000 in Physical Damage coverage (in the U.S.). In Canada, the available coverages are up to $10 million Liability and $2M in Physical Damage, including Comprehensive & Collision protection.
- Interior damage and losses caused by mechanical failures due to a lack of maintenance are covered if you select the interior damage coverage option.
- Collision coverage on motorized vehicles older than year 2000, may be covered at the discretion of the company, and rates charges may apply.
- Every listed vehicle must pass a 90-day inspection of its tires, brakes, and LP gas, appliance and electrical systems within 90 days of the reservation departure. Safety first! Outdoorsy’s insurance carriers reserve the right to request these inspection documents in the event of a filed claim.
- Vehicles must be legally registered, meet all safety standards, and must be certified and meet all listing criteria on Outdoorsy.
- All drivers, including the primary contract signer, must be verified and approved through the Outdoorsy DMV Driver history check and other background checks if necessary.
- For drivers traveling south of the border, our coverage does not extend to vehicles entering Mexico.
- Damage as a result of vandalism and theft during the rental period must include a police report when submitting a claim to our team or the claim will not be accepted.
- Insurance coverages are not permitted for salvage title vehicles.
- In the event a claim needs to be filed, you need to have pre-trip photos, post-trip photos, and either the Driveable RV Departure and RV Return forms or the Towable RV Departure and RV Return forms, completed and signed.
Our insurance protection plans feature tiered deductibles depending on the value of the rented vehicle. The renter is responsible for the deductible, which can range from $1,500 to $3,000 on the Physical Damage and Comprehensive & Collision coverages in the event of a damage claim. The deductible is the responsibility of the renter.
To enable the coverage on each rental, owners must apply and be approved for each vehicle through the Outdoorsy dashboard. In addition, for each rental, all planned drivers must submit and be approved through the Outdoorsy DMV Verification process. Outdoorsy may require further background checks if the DMV verification is incomplete. If there is no DMV verified driver, you are still eligible to rent your vehicle through Outdoorsy, however you as the owner are responsible for providing your own insurance coverage or confirming with the renter whether they are able to provide coverage. Outdoorsy will not extend insurance coverage to renters who are not approved, verified drivers. When your vehicle is not on an active rental through Outdoorsy, your personal insurance serves as primary coverage. Once you are qualified and approved as an owner, an insurance certificate will be issued by Outdoorsy and will be available through your dashboard under your documents tab.
We offer up to $1 million in Liability insurance coverage, which protects you against claims from third parties as well as your renters in the case of any incidents. You’re also protected for any physical damage to your RV in the event of a collision or accident during the rental period, up to the actual cash value of your vehicle, with a maximum of $500,000. For vehicles listed on Outdoorsy Canada, the available coverages extend up to $10 million in Liability insurance coverage and $2 million in Physical Damage protection that protects the unit from damage that results from collisions and comprehensive causes (such as fire or theft), with some specific limitations for acts of nature. Interior damage from usage such as scuffs, broken cabinets or cleaning, etc., are available through optional insurance packages made available to the renter during the booking checkout. Cleaning fees and other owner charges specified in the listing should be covered by the renter’s security/damage deposit.
Domestic and international renters
One click, automated insurance coverage for both domestic and international renters from anywhere in the world. RVing or “caravanning” in America and Canada is popular among travelers from all over the world. Now, they are all eligible to be covered through Outdoorsy’s insurance protection programs. No need to purchase commercial coverage as Outdoorsy makes it simple through the online verification and approval process.
- Up to $1 million in liability coverage in the US and up to $10 million in Canada
- Up to $500,000 in physical damage, comprehensive & collision and up to $2 million in Canada
- Driver DMV checks and identity verification
- Custom security deposits
- Optional 24/7 roadside assistance
- Optional windshield coverage
- Optional interior damage coverage
- Optional trip cancellation insurance
- 24/7 live customer support
The application process is quick and easy. Before you rent your first RV we ask for your payment information and your Driver’s License information and, in some cases, more background information so we can verify that you meet our eligibility and insurability requirements. In most cases, the driver eligibility check takes seconds, as long as we can verify all of your information and you have a clean driving record.
When you pass your DMV verification and any additional background verification steps that are required, you will not need to purchase a rental binder and there are no brokers or agents to call. It’s an easy and secure process and your information is never shared with anyone. Upon passing DMV and background verification, your insurance will be activated and you will be covered from the moment you pick up the keys to the RV. Your coverage automatically includes state minimums for liability, with the option to upgrade your liability coverage to $1,000,000 in the U.S. and up to $10 million for Canadian originated rentals. The coverage protects you against claims from third parties for damage caused to the vehicle. You’re protected for physical damage that you may cause to the RV, up to the maximum limit that you select in the coverage packages during your booking.
Traveling from another country to tour the U.S. and/or Canada? Outdoorsy makes it easy as there is no need to pay additional fees for daily insurance coverage. Outdoorsy’s insurance coverage plans protect international travelers when they rent through Outdoorsy. Both Liability and Physical Damage, Comprehensive & Collision coverages are included. International travelers must have a valid international license or International Driver’s Permit and we may ask for additional documentation (such as a scan of the drivers’ passport) for verification. Once a driver is verified and approved, they are automatically covered for all rental vehicles that have applied for and have been approved for coverage through Outdoorsy.