Overview and Declarations Information
Outdoorsy coverages are unique in that both the owner and renter are protected when renting through Outdoorsy and purchasing a Protection Package. The protections offered are specific to the party and the protection package available and purchased. The information contained herein is specific to the vehicle renter, and describes what is precisely covered and under what circumstances.
A renter qualifies for protection for Outdoorsy bookings when they purchase a Protection Package and pass our verification process, which includes a background check along with ID verification, and must be over 25 years of age. Even if a person passes our verification process, any violation of our renter requirements or Terms of Service voids coverage.
Renters can choose between three different Protection Packages. Each package offers physical damage, liability, and an array of additional services. Renters will choose from these packages during the booking process on eligible rentals. Deductibles vary based on the protection package selected and the class of vehicle rented. For additional information on Protection Package details and offerings please visit: What are Outdoorsy’s insurance protection packages?
Renters are responsible for ensuring that the booking details indicate the vehicle has been approved for coverage on their Outdoorsy dashboard and that a protection package has been purchased and applied for coverage to be in place. Renters must also confirm that they passed the Outdoorsy verification process for the rented vehicle to qualify as covered.
Outdoorsy provides episodic coverage under this policy for losses that occur exclusively during the rental period. The protection period for renter coverage extends from the time of key handoff to the renter on the start date of the booking, until the vehicle return and key handoff on the final scheduled booking date. Damages that cannot be confirmed as having occurred during the rental period will not be covered under these packages.
Territories of Coverage
Our US Comprehensive and Collision coverage is in place for losses occurring in the US or Canada for vehicles registered in the United States of America, regardless of where the booking begins or ends. We are currently unable to offer coverage to vehicles registered in the state of New York. Please note that we also do not offer coverage for vehicles entering Mexico.
The deductible for the Comprehensive and Collision coverage is determined by the protection package selected by the renter at the time of booking (What are Outdoorsy’s insurance protection packages?). The deductible will apply on a per loss basis to both comprehensive and collision losses. Outdoorsy will apply any available security deposit to the deductible after owner deductions for related booking fees and will recover any deductible balance from the renter. (What is the security deposit? How does it work?).
Other Declarations Information
Declarations information specific to each rental that is not identified above, such as the vehicle approved for coverage, the insured parties, and policy period/booking dates, will be provided on the booking receipt available on either parties Outdoorsy dashboard.
Outdoorsy will pay for sudden, direct, and accidental loss to the listed vehicle for perils covered under our Comprehensive & Collision coverage. Payments will be issued to the legal owner of a listed vehicle unless otherwise specified by the legal owner.
Our collision coverage will cover when damages are sustained to the rental as the result of an impact with an object or another vehicle or the upset of the vehicle.
Comprehensive (sometimes called Other than Collision) coverage would cover the following: falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion or earthquake, windstorm, hail, water or flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, riot or civil commotion, contact with bird or animal, or breakage of glass.
All covered perils are subject to investigation and determination by our claims team.
The Outdoorsy policy will cover comprehensive and collision damages to the vehicle caused by a covered peril. However as with any insurance policy there are necessary exclusions to the coverage. Outdoorsy’s policy does not cover the following:
- Losses caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure, wear and tear, lack of maintenance, or damages occurring over time, are not covered. This includes resulting damages from a covered peril that was found to be caused by failure or breakdown. (Example: If a fire is found to be caused by a mechanical failure, the resulting fire damage is not covered.)
- Damages resulting from manufacturer or prior repair defects.
- Damages resulting from war, riot, nuclear or radioactive contamination.
- Damages to any electronic equipment or accessories designed for the reproduction of sound, that send or receive audio, visual or data signals unless required for the normal operation of the vehicle.
- Loss of personal property belonging to either owner or renter. Renter is directly responsible for damaged or missing property.
- Awning fabric (unless confirmed as not having wear or any tears prior to the rental).
- Loss to the listed vehicle resulting from operating at excessive speeds or while participating in any form of racing.
- Damages resulting from operating the vehicle off of paved roadways, or in any activity other than the vehicle’s designed or intended purpose.
- Damages incurred due to negligence on the part of the renter, or operation and care of the vehicle contrary to Outdoorsy’s terms and conditions.
- Damage caused by pets or livestock owned by the renter or members of their party, or permitted to enter the vehicle intentionally or as a result of the renter’s negligence.
- Renter coverage will be denied if the vehicle is found to be operated by an unapproved driver at the time of loss. If keys were not provided to a verified driver at the start of the booking, owner coverage may also be denied.
- Interior damage is not covered under the Outdoorsy Comprehensive and Collision coverage, optional Damage Protection coverage can be purchased by the renter for interior damage protection.
- Our coverage does not extend to rentals entering or attempting to enter Mexico.
- Coverage will not be extended to losses resulting from vandalism or theft if a police report is not submitted. Police report must be obtained immediately following the loss.
- A police report is required for any incident involving third parties.
- Loss of use, loss of personal use, alternative accommodation, and transportation costs resulting from damages are not covered by Outdoorsy.
- Items that are not factory installed at the time of manufacturing may not be covered. Examples include add-on features such as bicycle racks, etc.
- Damages resulting from an intentional act, or the intentional acts of others at your or the owner’s direction.
- Any damage that occurs while in violation of local, state, and federal laws, including DUIs and reckless driving.
- Any damage incurred while operating the vehicle under the influence of alcohol, drugs, other substances, or medication that may impair your judgement even with a prescription. If the booking is for stationary delivery, coverage is excluded and void if the renter moves the vehicle at any time during the booking.
Conditions and Provisions
Renter Duties Prior to Loss
Outdoorsy reserves the right to deny payment if there has not been full compliance with the following duties:
- Ensure the vehicle is approved for coverage and protection package has been purchased: Prior to any bookings the renter is responsible for ensuring that a protection package was purchased and paid for and that the booking details on their Outdoorsy dashboard reflect coverage approved.
- All drivers are verified: It is the renter’s responsibility to ensure that all members of the party who will be operating the vehicle complete the driver verification process and are listed as approved for coverage. If a non-verified driver damages the vehicle the Outdoorsy renter coverage will be denied and the renter will be responsible for the full damages.
- Pre-trip inspection and post-trip: Immediately prior to releasing the vehicle the renter is responsible for completing a full inspection of the interior and exterior of the vehicle. We require photos and/or videos of any existing damages or defects at this time.
Renter Duties After Loss
In addition to the pre-loss requirements, the renter also has a responsibility to meet the following after loss duties if seeking coverage:
- Prompt notice of loss: All damages must be reported to Outdoorsy immediately. Renter will be fully responsible for all damages in the event that the Renter does not notify the owner and Outdoorsy immediately of any damages. Notice should also include the names and contact information for any additional parties involved. For additional filing details please visit How do I file a claim? If the loss is a result of theft or vandalism, prompt notification to the police is also required by either owner or renter.
- Notify owner of damages: In the event damages are sustained the renter is responsible for notifying the owner immediately and communicating with the owner to reach an agreement on next steps for temporary repairs, return of vehicle, or decision to move forward if damages are minimal and do not affect safe operation of the vehicle.
- Mitigate damages: Reasonable steps must be taken to protect the vehicle from additional damages after a loss until the return of the vehicle. For example, if the damages have caused a puncture and there is a possibility of rain, it is the renters responsibility to cover the puncture to ensure no additional damage is sustained while in possession of the vehicle. Outdoorsy will reimburse reasonable expenses incurred to mitigate damages with submission of receipts and/or invoices.
- Submit proof of loss: In order to investigate the claim we will require a claim statement completed and any available photos or documentation submitted, including contact information for any witnesses or additional impacted parties.
- Cooperating with investigation: The renter agrees to cooperate with and assist Outdoorsy in good faith during the investigation by agreeing to the Outdoorsy Terms and Conditions at the time of booking.
In the event of a payment or insurance dispute, Outdoorsy will attempt to resolve disputes with the affected parties. If an agreement cannot be reached or in the event of a dispute with Outdoorsy, the dispute will be handled via arbitration per the Outdoorsy Terms and Conditions.
Fraud and Misrepresentation
Outdoorsy retains the right to not provide coverage for any party who has made fraudulent statements, engaged in fraudulent conduct, or provided material misrepresentation in order to seek coverage under our policy.
Limit of Liability
Renter liability for damages does not exceed the deductible providing the claim is accepted and coverage is approved. If the renter violates the Outdoorsy Terms and Conditions or any section of this policy, the renter is liable for the full value of the loss, regardless of deductible.
Actual Cash Value
Physical damage claims paid under comprehensive and collision coverage are paid up to ACV (Actual Cash Value) in the event of a total loss. ACV is determined by establishing a baseline value based on similar vehicles in the owners geographical region. Then based on a variety of things potentially including mileage, condition, upgrades, inspection, etc. that value will be adjusted accordingly to determine the ACV for the specific vehicle.
Quality Replacement Parts (QRP)
Our appraisers will write estimates utilizing quality replacement parts. We owe to put the owners RV back to the condition it was in prior to the accident, and we are confident that can be done with the parts that are listed on our estimate. If there is a reason that OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts are needed, the owners repair shop can submit a supplement to our appraisal team to discuss and come to an agreed price.
Our policy is designed to put your vehicle back in the position it was prior to the damages, no better and no worse. Over time the value of various parts and components will depreciate. Our coverage will cover the cost of the actual damage sustained, not the cost to improve the vehicle’s condition to better than its pre-loss condition. For example, if a portion of a floor is damaged we would cover the cost to repair the damaged section, not the cost to replace the entire floor. Application of betterment policies will be subject to state specific regulations.
Vandalism and Theft
We reserve the right to require a police report for damage as a result of vandalism or theft during the rental period. The police report needs to be filed within 48 hours of the reported incident by the renter or the owner, and the claim needs to be reported to Outdoorsy within 48 hours of the end of the booking. Failure to provide a police report may result in the denial of a claim at the discretion of the Outdoorsy claims team.
Renters personal insurance will act as primary to any coverage they have purchased through Outdoorsy. If other sources of recovery also cover the loss, Outdoorsy reserves the right to pursue recovery of any claim payments.
The Outdoorsy coverage does not include transportation costs. However, in the event that the vehicle is disabled due to a covered loss and roadside is unable to assist in moving the vehicle, Outdoorsy may assist in covering a tow to the nearest repair facility. If the vehicle needs to be relocated to the shop of choice or to a specialized repairer, Outdoorsy is not liable for any additional towing costs.
Additional Supplementary Coverages
Outdoorsy will provide renter protection for stationary rentals. This means the owner and renter agree to a delivery at a specific location and the renter further agrees the vehicle will not move from that location until the owner arrives to pick up the vehicle at the end of the booking. Renter agrees that if they move the vehicle all coverage for the booking is void.
Other Available Protection Offerings:
- Damage Protection
- Windshield Coverage
- Accident interruption policy
- Liability Coverage provided by Liberty Mutual
For details specific to each booking, including a copy of the booking receipt please login to your personal Outdoorsy dashboard. All listed owners and booked renters have agreed to the Outdoorsy Terms and Conditions which outline additional insurance and company policies. Coverage is subject to the Terms as well as all site content. Additional site content regarding our coverages can be found under our help section FAQs.