The nature of the Vanagon triggers a sense of nostalgia in many people you meet while traveling. Be prepared for friendly chit-chat, waves, smiles, and an occasional request for a picture. Even a simple stop for fuel will many times turn into a trip down memory lane for a fellow traveler that's brave enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger.
This Westfalia Weekender, or "Westy" Weekender, has a unique layout that replaces the kitchen with more floor space and extra seating. There are six seat belts and it can sleep four adults; two down and two up. There is ample storage in the rear cabinet and under the seats to keep things organized and keep valuables out of sight. The built-in folding table is great for picnicking, card games, and morning coffee. The pop-top tent takes seconds to deploy and nearly doubles your living space. It also allows you to stand comfortably inside, sheltered from the elements.
This is a mechanically well maintained van, and having a reliable ride is our #1 priority. In the Vanagon world, engine conversions are a popular option to achieve this goal. If you want reliability, the Bostig engine conversion is the cream of the crop. It replaces the woeful original VW engine with a much more modern Ford Zetec 2.0 engine. (More commonly found in a Ford Focus.) This Ford engine gives you a slight bump in performance, though it's no speed demon. However, pulling out into traffic is no longer a white-knuckle experience. And most importantly, this conversion gives a massive bump in reliability! (The original Vanagon motors are notoriously unreliable, even with standard maintenance.) This van probably won't win any beauty contests, so its price is reflective of that.
With that being said, any 30+ year old classic vehicle will have some quirks that you need to keep in mind. These currently include:
• The van has a 4-speed stick-shift (manual) transmission. If you don't already know how to drive a stick-shift, this probably isn't the rental for you. Clutch and transmission repairs are very expensive.
• Stability in crosswinds does not handle like a modern vehicle. Two hands on the steering wheel at all times is almost a must.
• No air conditioning
• The pop-top tent is in decent shape except for a couple of small/medium tears on the driver side. It's patched with duct tape and functions fine though. The tape is on the inside, so you don't notice much, if anything, when walking by on the outside.
• In VW's infinite wisdom, these vans came stock with a fragile corduroy fabric on the interior seats and cushions. We have two seat covers on the front seats, but the rear bench seat is starting to show wear and tear.
• The radio is broken but we include a portable bluetooth speaker that works great.
Please remember you are renting a classic vehicle. This camper van is not to be used off road and should never be driven on the beach, you WILL get stuck in the sand! Along this same topic...even with the aforementioned mechanical overhaul, the most reliable vehicle is a machine that will eventually break down in some fashion. We do not require you to purchase the roadside service, but keep in mind you will be responsible for any and all problems that may arise during your rental, including flat tires, lock outs, etc. As such, we STRONGLY suggest you purchase the Coach-Net roadside service, or, supply your own AAA Premier membership or similar service.
Included with each rental:
• Two (2) bed sets - sheets, blankets, and pillows
• Basic cooking supplies - Coleman stove, pots/pans, plates, bowls, cups, silverware
We do not limit the milage of your rental, you will find out that this is a very rare offer. We simply want you to have fun on your vacation and not worry about keeping a spreadsheet of your miles to avoid more fees. However, we ask that you please inform us of your rough itinerary, especially if you plan to travel longer distances. We do not allow travel to Canada or Mexico.
We are also unique in that we have two locations on opposite coastlines: Kill Devil Hills, NC and San Francisco, CA. This gives us the noteworthy offering of cross-country, one-way trips! Van is currently located in San Francisco.
November 1 - March 31: $100/night
April 1 - October 31: $150/night