Since early March, COVID-19 has been putting a unique strain on our country. The mental, emotional, physical, and financial effects of the virus have been nothing short of devastating. At the risk of being another blog to use the word “unprecedented”, we’ll just say…these times are wild.
At Outdoorsy, we firmly believe that being outdoors is a form of self-care. According to Harvard, recent studies in the growing field of ecotherapy have shown a strong connection between time spent in nature and reduced stress, anxiety, and depression.
The Healthcare Heroes Program
Today, we’re launching the Healthcare Heroes program, gifting free road trips to healthcare heroes throughout North America so they can recuperate, once the peak of the pandemic is behind us.
The “book one, we’ll give one” program builds on Outdoorsy’s mission to make memorable outdoor experiences accessible to all by connecting RV owners with travelers wanting to reconnect with nature.
How Does the Program Work?
For trips booked from now until June 30, 2020, we’ll match the booking with free road trip nights and donate them to deserving healthcare workers.
Our road trip recipients will win:
- a three-day, two-night RV rental from Outdoorsy
- an annual membership to Harvest Hosts
- a gift card to cover the costs of a stay at Kampgrounds of America (KOA)
Each week, winners will be selected and shared as more nominations and bookings are made. Want to nominate a healthcare hero you know?
How to Get Involved
If you want to nominate someone you know or get involved, here are a few ways to do so:
- Nominate a hero you know. We want to hear about doctors, nurses, EMTs, or anyone working in healthcare who is making a difference and deserves a trip. Nominations can be submitted now in the nomination section of the program page.
- Book a trip and Outdoorsy will give a trip to a healthcare hero. With the ability to control your environment and travel close to home, road trips will likely be one of the first types of vacations we’ll be able to enjoy. By booking a trip now, you can feel good knowing a trip is also going to someone deserving for later.
- Turn your RV into a vehicle for doing good. RV owners who want to lend their vehicle to the cause can sign up in the contribute section of the program page.
Meet Our First Healthcare Hero Winner
Our first winner is healthcare hero, Danielle Martin from Rio Frio, TX. Danielle is a registered nurse who not only works full-time in the ICU of her local hospital but also finds the time to make mask ear savers and send care packages to New York City Healthcare workers affected by COVID-19. Oh, and did we mention she’s 8 months pregnant?
Danielle was nominated for the RV trip by her husband (and fellow nurse), Zack Martin.
When asked why she was deserving of the prize, Zack had this to say:
“My wife and I are both nurses. I work in the Emergency Room and she works in the ICU and is currently 8 months pregnant with our 1st child. She has been working full time throughout her pregnancy and dealing with Covid-19 patients. She has been exceptionally worried about contracting the virus and putting the health of our child at risk.
She would like nothing more than to introduce the new addition to her family in Pennsylvania, but is apprehensive about traveling during the pandemic with a newborn. After some discussion, we thought that renting an RV would be a great way to stay clean, healthy, and at a safe social distance during our travel from Texas to Pennsylvania”
Danielle, we hope this trip allows you to take some much-needed time for self-care and family bonding with your new little one. Congrats, Danielle and Zack!
If you’d like to nominate or help donate a trip for healthcare hero in your life or, you can do so on the Healthcare Heroes program page.
And stay tuned, as we’ll continue to highlight our program winners all throughout May and June.
Renting your RV
Outdoorsy RV owners make up to $32,000 a year renting their RVs.List Your RV
Your next adventure starts here by searching thousands of available RVs for rent.Search Now