Coronavirus Note RE Refunds/Reservations:
- Our rental reservation policy is MODERATE: 75% refund up to 7 days before pickup, then 50% refund for remaining days. Please confirm your campground availability BEFORE you reserve a camper.
- We are adding a 2 day calendar buffer between rental dates to allow our campers to air out after renters, and we are cleaning/disinfecting them THOROUGHLY.
- Due to Coronavirus, we will NOT offer our own bedding/linens/towels/pillows/mattress covers during the rental period but are asking our renters to provide -- and clean -- their own.
- We have a 4 night minimum rental.
- Additionally, Outdoorsy has a promo code offer for 10% off any rental using the promo code SPRING10.
Gretta Van Lefturn is a 2003 VW Eurovan Full Camper. Outfitted by Winnebago, USA, she features the same basic "Westfalia" layout as other classic VW Vanagon and Microbus-chassis campers, but with a few added and more modern touches. These include:
- An upfitted Truckfridge TF49 refrigerator.
- Frigid air conditioning.
- A powerful propane furnace for cold-weather camping.
- A built-in rear rinse-off outdoor shower.
- A lift kit, Fox Shocks and Yokohama off-road tires.
- Dual front airbags, anti-lock brakes, front wheel drive traction control and a butter-smooth 201-horsepower VR6 engine. NOTE: This van REQUIRES premium fuel.
Fully outfitted for camping, Gretta's perfect for trekking along the coast, using as a basecamp for exploring downtown Charleston and other nearby cities and our nearby barrier islands like Folly and Isle of Palms and campgrounds like Edisto, Huntington Beach and Hunting Island. She also handles the mountain roads around Asheville like a cross between a Passat and a Sprinter.
- Auxiliary battery for lights, computer, whatever. Automatically charged anytime the van runs, or is plugged into shore power.
- Pop top tent with front bug screen and a comfortable upstairs bed - double-size and comfortable for two adults, with extra pad and bug screening.
- The rear bench seat transforms instantly into a nearly double-sized bed that will sleep 2. (Though this bed is probably better for 2 kids than adults) We have an extra foam pad for this bed too.
- Privacy curtains for all windows.
- Fans. 12V and 120V.
- Both front seats are super comfortable with adjustable armrests. They rotate to turn the van's interior into a room.
- Stereo with bluetooth lighter adaptor.
- Upgraded wheels/tires/suspention. Lift kit from GoWesty.com. This van is front wheel drive.
- Bug screens on driver and passenger side sliding windows and poptop.
- Rear airplane-style reading lights.
- Three point (shoulder) seatbelts for all four seats.
- Safety inspected.
- NOTE: I can provide a shore-power air conditioner that ducts into the roof of the van. I'll also have to show you how to use the setup!
Kitchen: Van features a sink with 11 gallon tank, adjustable electric pump faucet with stainless steel dish drain pan and two burner propane stove.
- Truckfridge TF49 refrigerator. Replaces original stock unit and is colder and far more reliable.
- Cups, bowls, plates and utensils.
- Coffee cups.
- Cookware: Pots, pans, skillet, grater, strainer, measuring cups, openers, kettle, etc.
- Necessities: Paper towels, toilet paper, (1 roll each) ziplocs, foil, trashbags, and other useful necessities.
- French press coffee maker.
- Campsuds soap for dishes and human bodies.
- Trash can.
- Cleaning spray.
- Salt and pepper. Cooking oil spray.
- Lighters and matches.
- 1 Headlamps, and a couple of flashlights.
- ARB 2.5 meter square Awning. Super easy to deploy.
- Sleeping: Waterproof mattress pads, 4 pillows, bottom sheet and sleeping bags.
- Camp table.
- Basic toolkit.
- Camp chairs.
- External propane stove. Runs on propane bottles.
- First aid kit.
- Whisk broom.
Your host is a journalist, who has been a VW camper owner for years and have written about them in Outside and the New York Times. I think they're about the greatest vehicle ever invented.
Outside Magazine - The Ride of Your LIfe. https://www.outsideonline.com/2093836/ride-your-life
Outside Magazine - The Purpose Driven Van. https://www.outsideonline.com/1856606/purpose-driven-van
Outside Magazine - the Greatest Car Ever Made. https://www.outsideonline.com/1859811/best-adventure-vehicle-vanagon
NYTimes - Travel - Drawn to a 1980's camper with the soul of an SUV. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/18/travel/driving-drawn-to-a-1980-s-camper-with-the-soul-of-an-suv.html
NYTimes - Travel - California Coasting.
Check my other campers - including my 1987 VW Vanagon Westfalia and a vintage Shasta Airflyte at eastcoastwestys.com