Thanks for inquiring about this Maui Westy Camper! Blue Meenie is a MANUAL TRANSMISSON 1990 Volkswagen Westfalias — perfect for cruising around Maui. These vintage year Westy Vanagons are the jack of all trades with a built in sink, stove, storage closets. This camper sleeps up to 4, 2 in the pop top and 2 down below on the fold down bed.
It's easy to drive, definitely looks like a local car, and has that undeniable PURE VINTAGE VW FEEL..
Once inside, pop the top, feel the breezes, and prep your food while standing in kitchen with the fold out kitchen table, 2 burner stove, sink. It may not be a brand new Campervan…. But there is nothing quite like experiencing the VANLIFE on Maui in a classic VW.
This Campervan comes fully equipped with the following items FREE OF CHARGE AS WELL AS FREE AIRPORT PICKUP/ DROPOFF ( EARLY & LATE CHECKOUT OFTEN INCLUDED)
-2 sets of Snorkel Gear
- 4 Beach towels
- 2 Beach chairs
- Laminated Map with highlights noted and Maui Revealed guide book
- Lantern and flashlight
- Pots, pans and miscellaneous cooking utensils
- 2 sets sheets / 2 blankets / 4 pillows
- First aid kit
- Stove and propane
- Camp Table
-13 gallons of built in water for sink
- 2” memory foam mattress topper for lower bed
- canvas top with 3 large screened windows
- Roof racks to carry your own surfboards, SUP's (or you can rent mine)
- Swivel seat base to the passenger front seat
-40 quart cooler ( built in Westfalia fridge used for storage)
- Fire extinguisher
- Rooftop 13 gallon outdoor solar heated shower
- Upgraded stereo with Bluetooth and Aux inputs
- Tinted the windows for cooler vehicle and great privacy
- Small 12V fan to keep you cool when you sleep at night
- 2 USB outlets on dash
Arriving - Easy FREE AIRPORT PICKUP AND DROPOFF -
Once you arrive at the Kahului Airport (OGG), we will meet you right across the street from baggage claim in the parking lot. Maui airport is pretty small so it will be maybe a 5 minute walk to you get to the campervan. From there, we will go over the campervan with you and teach you how to use it as well as noting any previous damage prior to you taking off. We'll then sign some paperwork and you're off. This process will take around 15-30 minutes.
We are very flexible with pickup and drop-off times, and most commonly, renters drop the Campervan at the airport at a time that works for their departing flight.. Drop-off instructions provided at Check in.
Some things to note since you are renting out a vehicle:
- All drivers must be 25 years of age or older.
- All drivers will need to sign Maui Westy Campers Standard Vehicle Rental Agreement.
- We will need a copy of driver'(s) licenses for every driver.
- If you come from outside the US, then we will need a copy of all passports for every driver.
- We include pretty much everything you need to campervan in Maui but do offer some extra items you might be interested in renting.
- 8’ Foam surfboard (Wavestorm)
- 10’ SUP board with paddle (Wavestorm)
- Children's car seat
- 2 person tent
- Extra camp chair
***** You are 100% responsible for damage done to the exterior and interior of the vehicle. Because of this, we require this vehicle to be insured by you during the rental. There are two options for this:
1) If your personal vehicle has full coverage insurance (and you are from the US or Canada) then most likely, this rental is covered under your own insurance. In this case, you must provide us with a declaration page from your insurance company showing your coverages and proof that your insurance covers this rental vehicle.
2) If you do not have full coverage, live outside the US and Canada, or just want to purchase insurance so you do not have to use your own personal insurance, then we can provide full coverage insurance on the campervan with a deductible. The rate is tiered based on the amenities you choose. Pricing is available to see during check-out.
Camping and Driving Restrictions—
The great thing about renting a campervan is being more spontaneous, and that you get to explore the beauty of Maui in the Golden light hours without having to drive all the way back to your hotel even night. Maui Westy campers are allowed the drive the Road the Hana, including the ‘backside’ road. PLEASE NOTE- ALL DAMAGES INCURRED ON THE BACK ROAD TO HANA ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. AS WELL AS FLAT TIRES CAUSED BY HITTING ROAD HAZARDS AND IRRESPONSIBLE DRIVING / AND OR DRIVING IN SAND ETC.
This Campervan is NOT allowed up Crater Road / Waipoli Road AT ALL- You will be charged with loss of deposit.
You CANNOT just camp anywhere you like here on Maui!! Please respect private property. However, There are many private areas to camp on Maui, and yes some are off the beaten path. During Checkin process, we can go over some of those details.
There are 6 great spots where you can reserve a campervan in Maui. You can make reservations ahead of time depending on season, but we do recommend being flexible and having some unplanned itinerary, as weather changes, and its nice to go with the flow.
1) Waianapanapa State Park - This is a great spot near Hana and has some beautiful quiet and shaded camping. There is a black sand beach and a great 3 mile loop hike with some spectacular views of the Hana Coast and the slopes of Haleakala. There are only bathroom facilities here but no drinking water.
2) Kipahulu (Haleakala National Park) - There is great shaded camping here and great short hikes. Pipiwai Trail is a 4 miles round trip trail that winds through a freshwater stream and diverse forest areas with views of waterfalls and other natural features. This is where the Seven Sacred Pools is located. This area has picnic tables, BBQ grills and outdoor pit toilets but no drinking water.
3) YMCA Camp Ka'anae - This spot is located on the North Shore on your way to Hana about 34 miles from Kahului. They have bathrooms, showers and potable water. DEFINITELY RECOMMEND
5) Papalaua Wayside County Park - This park lies along Honoapiilani Hwy #30 on the way to Lahaina along a sandy beach with excellent snorkeling and great SUPboarding. Shade is provided by kiawe trees. No water supply available and it has portable toilets and BBQ grills.
6) Camp Olowalu - Recently renovated, the camp is on the ocean along Hwy 30 about 6 miles south of Lahaina at Olowalu. It is in a grove of mature trees with picnic tables, drinking water, showers and toilets. Swimming and snorkeling are good and in the winter months a nice place to watch whales. This campground has laundry facilities and free WIFI.